City, Suburb or the Best of Both? The Rise of Neo-Urban Communities

HYPERLOCAL

Around the world, cities are growing day by day, surging in population growth and new infrastructure projects. As the UN  estimates, nearly 70 percent of the world’s population will reside in urban areas by 2020. But what about the remaining 30 percent? With so much talk about the distinctions between urban and suburban, the conversation often excludes what happens if we blend the two together.

Neo-urban communities—places meant to offer the best of city amenities coupled with suburban living—are taking root, growing in popularity across the country. In the past, developers would focus on one aspect of the three pillars of live, work or play, and build a new development based on that central focus. This was the reason behind the rise of master-planned communities, major corporate office parks and sports facilities set far outside a city’s core. But there has been a fundamental shift in how people live, work and play, and developers are taking notice.

We knew when we purchased the land that we could do something incredible here.

Today, innovative developers are doing away with such distinctions between how we spend our time, instead looking to create places that offer the best of each pillar to entice a new breed of residents—people looking to spend less time commuting and more time in their communities, and who expect a certain cluster of amenities to be within arm’s reach.
One such place that’s taking neo-urban to new heights is Lake Nona, a 17-square-mile community in Orlando, Florida, created and developed by Tavistock Development Company. Tavistock Group founder Joe Lewis purchased the Lake Nona Golf & Country Club in 1996, and by the early 2000s the vision for a master-planned, mixed-use community was taking form.

“We knew when we purchased the land that we could do something incredible here thanks to the proximity to the international airport and location within the city of Orlando, a city known around the globe,” said James “Jim” Zboril, president of Tavistock Development Company. “At the time, we didn’t have the roadmap completely figured out, we just knew our challenge was to avoid building more of the same.”

Lake Nona is about three things: Creating the ideal place—which fits in with our vision of a place that supports community health and wellbeing—inspiring human potential and innovative collaboration.

With thoughtful development and long-term planning, Lake Nona has not only become one of the fastest growing residential communities in the U.S., it’s also established a thriving medical cluster, sports and wellbeing hubs, attracting top companies and talent to the region. With more than a dozen residential neighborhoods, offering variety for different types of residents, and community resources—including a handful of state universities, medical research facilities and a major sports training center—the live, work and play opportunities at Lake Nona are nearly unparalleled.

“Lake Nona is about three things,” explained Rasesh Thakkar, senior managing director for Tavistock Group. “Creating the ideal place—which fits in with our vision of a place that supports community health and wellbeing—inspiring human potential and innovative collaboration.”

Want to learn more about how Lake Nona created a neo-urban community? Check out the video, below, and keep an eye to Blueprint for the remaining two parts of this series that focus on working and sports and wellbeing in Lake Nona.

MORE FROM HYPERLOCAL:

Sign up to receive our Weekly Newsletter